BREAKING/Malta: Pilatus Bank’s main client is Azerbaijan’s Minister for Emergency Situations

Published: April 23, 2017 at 1:43am

This website can now reveal that the main client at Malta’s Pilatus Bank is Azerbaijan’s long-time Minister for Emergency Situations, Kamaladdin Heydarov, known more cynically in Azerbaijan as ‘the Minister of Everything Significant’.

Sources at the Malta Financial Services Authority told this website that Heydarov has several accounts with the bank, held by different companies of which he is the ultimate beneficial owner.

Kamaladdin Heydarov is the richest and most powerful member of Azerbaijan’s ruling elite after the actual ruler, Ilham Aliyev. He is reported to front for the Aliyev ruling family in part of its extensive business dealings, particularly with a large network of Turkish companies, in addition to laundering his own funds.

Read more about him in Foreign Policy.

Pilatus Bank got its banking licence from the Malta Financial Services Authority, which has been chaired for around two decades by Joe Bannister, in August 2015. The bank’s owner, Seyed Ali Sadr Hashemenijad – who is Iranian but uses different passports issued by St Kitts & Nevis – applied for a banking licence in December 2013. He was just 33 at the time and was not a banker.

He is the man who was caught on camera removing bags of documents from his bank’s premises last Thursday night, accompanied by the bank’s risk manager, Antoniella Gauci.

1. The money from the crowd-fund is used up: almost 50,000 euros are deposited in court and the remainder are going on court fees to respond to the mountain of libel suits filed by crooked politicians and bent businessmen.

2. That’s the way it should be.

3. sopradodes says:

No wonder Malta’s petrol and diesel prices are the same price as when the oil was $120 a barrel – the crooks from the gutter.

4. M. Abela says:

Time for another crowd-fund! This is now getting out of hand.

5. EarthwormDave says:

Exactly. Look at what happened to poor David Abela.

6. Major Tom says:

Please do not start again with expectations concerning Labour MPs. They are all the same and almost each of the rest of them is involved in some comparatively smaller scandal. They – some more than others by virtue of the position they hold- are actually helping in protecting Muscat, Schembri and Mizzi. Then -and I am mentioning him only for the sake of completion- there is the very enigmatic Godfrey Farrugia.

7. Lydon Baldacchino says:

Dear Daphne,

I think for the greater good of our country, especially with regards to the financial industry of which I am part of..its time that, if evidence exists, it is put forward. Our country needs stability and peace of mind.

Regards

• I am not the cause of instability and lack of peace of mind. Instead of calling for me to provide documents – which is entirely my business – you should be demanding the resignation of the prime minister and his criminal cohorts.

• Lydon Baldacchino says:

Believe me, I am the first person to genuinely believe that for sure something is not adding up and something is truly wrong with this government, but my point was, if you have irrefutable evidence, why not put an end to all this now?

• I hate to have to point this out, but it really, really isn’t your business. And I honestly, but honestly, can’t understand why people ask such brazen questions on the internet. Do you honestly imagine I am going to answer a complete stranger in full public view on the internet?

Has Facebook really affected people’s behaviour so badly?

8. Gregor Roland says:

It sounds that the most corrupt country in the world wanted a finger in Europe. To do so it chose the most corrupt country in Europe.