Have you noticed how Muscat hasn’t said, “Of course I would never do something like that, because it’s wrong”?

Published: April 21, 2017 at 7:46am

The way that the prime minister is defending himself should tell you enough: “I deny that I own the company and that my wife owns the company (company with no name), and if documents are published they are forged and I will want them authenticated.”

I’m going to put things into perspective here. If somebody accuses me of having a top-secret company in Panama and a bank account at Pilatus Bank into which I receive millions from corrupt PEPs in Azerbaijan (and this even though I am not a politician or a prime minister), my response will not be “They are lying and the documents are bound to be fake.”

It would be: Of course I don’t XYZ. And then I would explain why, starting from the fact that it goes against my principles to set up a secret company in Panama and then take millions from corrupt people in Azerbaijan.

I would explain that I simply wouldn’t be able to do something like that from a moral perspective, besides thinking it absurdly dangerous, that money isn’t important to me, let alone the kind of crazed hunger to store up money that leads to choices like those. And that I don’t understand the people who do those things, or what drives their choices, but that they would never be my choices.

Did you hear Joseph Muscat say anything like that? Did you hear the Prime Minister say that of course he would never do something like that because it is wrong?

He doesn’t think it’s wrong, and he also has the parallel choices of his two henchmen to contend with. He’s been defending those choices in public since March last year.

One of my problems with these cases, and reporting on them, is coming to terms with the fact that people can be so very bad, so rotten to the core, so amoral and sociopathic, as to carve out a careful plan of how to trick and persuade people into voting them into power, so that they can then execute their primary plan of how to run the country as a (corrupt) personal business, with whole structures and networks laid out and carefully organised up ahead, including the setting up of a filthy private bank licensed by Joe Bannister’s outfit in collusion with Keith Schembri, to enable their dirty money to be laundered at home.

That people could actually devote so much time and careful planning to sheer and utter badness leaves me floundering in incredulity – not because I can’t believe that such people exist (I’m 52 and not stupid, so of course I do), but because I genuinely think “What the hell is the point?” Their choices and behaviour are so pointless that I am aghast.

Malta seems to me most times to be full of little beetles scuttling about collecting dung, admiring the shinier beetles and talking about who has the most dung and who works for the lousiest beetles for a great deal of dung because they’ve got to eat.

All these beetles beetling about, and some of them are really bad beetles and others are just plain irritating. None of them have any imagination and all of them are really poorly educated and have a limited vocabulary and are unable to speak in whole sentences.

And the beetles that run the country are just plain awful and scary.

1. Rifless says:

Id-domanda tieghi hija waħda sempliċi, possibbli m’hemm ħadd ta’ stoffa u ta’ kuxjenza fuq il-bankijiet tan-naħa tal- gvern u jqum u għid “Issa biżżejjed” u jiqaflu lil dan il-ħmieġ kollu?

2. Stephen Forster says:

Do you think he was roped in by one of the others when the plot was formed. Given his actual history I personally think so. The sweet smell of MEP salary & perks must have been difficult to let go initially until someone let slip a better way of making some alternative money making scheme quickly and large enough to take the risk.

• RosB says:

No, the 36000 majority blinded them so much that they took it for granted they have at least 20 years in government thinking they can plunder the country like this.

Why do you think they opened the accounts in Panama exactly after the election? They took that landslide victory as a guarantee for their future, thinking they will never get caught.

I go even a step further- only God knows what more money they have accumulated in other secret jurisdictions which we don’t know about.

• Stefania Soler says:

Yes, most probably by Schembri and Tonna.

• J.Pace says:

And the hospitals, and John Dalli. Of course Muscat is stupid and would never be competent enough to come up with something like that. This very own fact is why he fell for all this mess in the first place. But then again, this does not exonerate him of anything.

• A Attard says:

My opinion is that he spent his time as MEP absorbing the way that Azerbaijan had the European politicians in its pockets and devised the plan himself from the outset of submitting his nomination for Labour leader.

3. Eddie Preston says:

‘Tfal sew’ ighidlu lil Franco Debono.

4. EspressoLungo says:

Muscat gave us all a hint where to look in one of his promotional videos : a kitchen.

5. Kelin Taghna says:

I looked at the issue from a different perspective, and said to myself: “Let’s assume I’m sly, guilty, unethical and ready to lie out of my teeth to survive and I’m being cornered; how would I react?”

I found myself answering: “Exactly like what Joseph Muscat is doing now.”

If he were innocent or had a pinch of morality, he would have reacted otherwise.

6. Lord sloth says:

And not once do you criticise the fprmer successive Nationalist administrations for leaving Malta’s institutions so weak for decades. What will be done so this does not happen again? Will you fight that fight in the future?

• may borg says:

There is nothing wrong with the institutions. The thing is they are meant to be run by people who know their job, who are qualified and who believe in democracy. Muscat put his henchmen and lackeys in all top posts and there can never be enough safeguards to make institutions work properly when that happens.

Add to that the poor judgement of the Maltese in general and how they submit themselves to be governed by such corrupt persons and you have the result we are seeing today.

• callixtus says:

Undoubtedly, the institutions have to be strengthened. But how could anyone suspect that in the 21st century, Maltese voters would voluntarily vote to elect a completely amoral criminal gang to power.

7. Claire Portelli says:

He’d rather start hinting that the documents are forged. Doesn’t get more guilty than that.

8. Julian John Ebejer says:

Joseph must get a Liars Award. The more I listen to him and see his facial expressions, the more I realise just what a sum bag of a prime minister we unfortunately have.

#josephliar

9. Dizzy says:

We have been suspecting that Egrant was connected to Muscat from the day we got to know about its existence. Forget the indicative Karl Cini “Skype” email for a moment.

Just play back the first Muscat reaction to the breaking news that Konrad Mizzi, his star minister, has opened a secret trust in New Zealand and a secret Panama company: “M’hemmx xejn hazin jekk jiddikjaraha” (There is nothing wrong in it once he declares it).

Then slowly slowly, month by month, he changes his narrative to: “Yes, it’s not NICE” but a “Big Four audit” will show there is no bank account.

And now, anticipating further discovery of his road map : “There are no documents. If they produce documents they will be forgeries”.

And last night his personal Iranian dodgy banker just made a run for it.

10. Joseph Grima says:

Daphne, is this story going to end up like this? As nothing happened and the prime minister will stay in power?

11. T Borg says:

This post is so very true. One of the many harmful effects of Muscat’s government is the normalisation of behaviour that self-respecting democracies would consider totally unacceptable. Muscat has taken the morals out of politics and reduced it to an activity for making money.

12. Tabatha_White says:

How do lawyers operate that split when facing a client or a prospective client?

13. Edward Sant says:

Could you start presenting some evidence though. The public needs to know that we have hope….

• Yes, of course. I’ll go to Pilatus Bank and ask them for CCTV footage and copies of all their documents. I mean, really. Maltese people need to use their eyes because they can’t use their bloody heads.

Where in God’s name do you think this information came from, exactly? No, truly – how about thinking for a change?

• Stephen Forster says:

Please get some sleep.

• Edward Sant says:

Well I’m well aware that one would not risk his/her career and put all this at stake without any proof. I’m well aware that one could not possibly invent all of this without any possible evidence.

But one needs to see what there is, isn’t there anything possibly scanned don’t you have any soft copies to present to the public? So that people will be assured that they are not being taken on a ride by both sides? Cause right now these are very serious allegations that are being made without any proof presented as yet.

• Well, I’m sorry, but that’s pretty insulting. “Taken for a ride by both sides”? Really?

When you find my secret company in Panama and my millions from Azerbaijan, let me know. Until then, keep worrying about what idiots think.

• Edward Sant says:

Still we need facts. I can only imagine what you’ve been through to gather all this information and one can never thank you enough for what you’re doing to our country but the public needs to see some facts to start seeing through their lies.

• You have facts. What do you think those are? If you mean ‘evidence’, you must think I invented the whole thing by setting out to write a John Grisham novel. What else do you imagine? There must be a whole bunch of people out there who have worked out already how I got to know all this, and while they’re smuggling documents out of two offices to cope with the fall-out, I’m having to deal with irritating people asking for “facts” and “proof”.

14. NeedToSpkUp says:

I bet Keith Schembri and Konrad Mizzi are happier now. At least their capo is in the same boat now.

15. Joseph Simon says:

The best way to solve a crime is by following the money. You’ve given the authorities many leads but will they bother to follow the trail?

16. RF says:

I hope journalists today will do their part as well and hound Professor Bannister and the board of the Malta Financial Services Authority about actions to be taken against all involved with Pilatus Bank.

• Rumplestiltskin says:

We need more serious, dedicated, investigative journalists, rather than the likes of the pathetic lot putting questions to the Leader of the Opposition at this morning’s press conference.

17. may borg says:

Inkjesta taz-z***. Min hu dan l-Imhallef li se jaccetta? Hu min hu nghidulu min issa, korrott. L-evidenza taret f’wicc kullhadd u dokumentata b’filming.

18. Etienne Bonanno says:

Daphne, this is the scoop of the century. I just want to point out one observation about yesterday’s “denial” speech that nobody seems to have made.

On listening to his denial speech of yesterday, it is evident that he had had ample time to prepare and rehearse it before yesterday.

He couldn’t be seen consulting any notes and neither did he appear to be using a teleprompter and yet his delivery was precise to the word – very difficult to do when you’re speaking off the cuff and with emotions running high.

How could he have prepared this speech so well and in such a short time? Clearly he must have had an inkling of what’s coming and took steps.

19. Newman says:

It is very telling that the Prime Minister told his stooge, the Commissioner of Police, to refer the matter to the on-duty magistrate soon after a number of documents were removed from the bank’s premises.

20. Thank you for that reference to a sheltered life. Ghax il-vera kaz.

21. And even then, they won’t. You needn’t explain it to me. I was an adult in the 1980s. And Lorry Sant was just misunderstood and extremely generous.

22. That’s OK. You didn’t believe me in February last year, either, as I recall.

23. Ryan Murdock says:

“I said to my sister last night: this is going to be a repeat of the Panama story last year, and I don’t think I’m going to be able to resist the urge this time to say out loud that the only solution to Malta’s problems is an atomic bomb.”

I think Malta is beyond hope. The population is divided between opportunists — those who are on the take, desperate for the smallest crumbs off the table — and cowards who are sitting there with their heads down, desperately hoping mommy will come in and save them, mommy being someone from outside, like the EU.

A documentary on Malta could be called The Shameless and the Spineless.

I’m honestly amazed that the people have not taken to the streets and shut the country down, demanding change. But I can’t see it ever happening on this poor blighted island.

• You’re lucky to have left, and I’m happy to have your honest view, because I’m sick to death of people I know talking and behaving as though this festering rock is some kind of privileged paradise full of wonderful individuals, with everyone crowding to get in here.

The only people crowding to get in here are money-launderers, tax-evaders and other assorted criminals and fraudsters. Everyone else leaves after a couple of years of trying it, and even the criminals just pretend to be resident here but spend all their time elsewhere.

As for the shameless and the spineless, you’re so right. I’m soon going to reach the stage where I have to breathe into a brown paper bag to calm down after a conversation with your average Maltese citizen.

24. Claire Portelli says:

How about giving Simon Busuttil the documents and allowing him to humiliate Joseph Muscat on live national TV? Just a thought.

25. Public life and politics are not a court of law, Katarina. Stop popping in here to try to propagate ignorance. This is a different kind of forum, one where people don’t write pls.

26. Nice of you to stick up for Joseph. I’m sure he’s very grateful.

27. Yes, Macduff, they do. This is Malta, where ignorance is rife about almost everything except the household bills.

28. On the contrary, I understand it far better than you do: it is the fundamental principle IN THE CRIMINAL JUDICIAL PROCESS.

But not in the rest of life.

The day you actually need to watch your wife having sex with another man to prove that she is having an affair before you divorce her or leave her is the day you know you need to have your head examined.

29. It really is soul-destroying.

30. Maltese newspaper thinking: the act of denial is a fact, but what I report is just allegation, so the denial is given prominence as fact.

31. Why are you looking up the meaning of ‘denial’ in Wikipedia?

• yvette says:

I posted that for your readers because it is what Joseph Muscat has really been doing ever since your vital information was revealed and that he is denying the truth.

32. Ara x’ghandi x’naqsam mal-PN.

33. “Il-poplu mhux iblah”

Actually, il-poplu is worse than iblah. The survival of the Malta Labour Party in its unevolved form into the 21st century, because people vote for it, is proof of that.

And only a poplu iblah would have given that outfit a 36,000 vote majority. So please.

Floaters in Malta are by definition ‘boloh’ – and don’t be touchy about it – because voting in Malta is NOT a choice between two parties, even though it looks that way on the face of it.

34. You cannot possibly be serious – capital gains tax? That’s your worry?

35. They strip back the sheets and bend down to look closely to make sure there is genital contact. I mean, what are these people. No wonder Malta is such a bleeding mess.