Victor Calleja: Why Adrian Delia should go

Published: September 28, 2017 at 12:14am

Victor Calleja has written a good piece for the Times of Malta, which he has also reproduced on Facebook. I agree with him completely.

Fortunately, only two men have suggested to me that I give Delia a chance. This was before he was elected. One of them is advising him, the other is his law partner, and I know them both, so those conversations were civil. Because both of them know me, neither of them tried again.

Today, some other person posted an anonymous comment on this website, telling me to wait so that I can judge Delia by his performance – in other words, now is too soon. My response was: “Why, because I’m 25 and thick?” If a woman can’t suss a man out at my age and Marlene Farrugia’s (we’re the same age, as it happens), then there’s only one reason: she’s thick. And this is borne out by the fact that the only middle-aged women supporting Delia vociferously on Facebook are those who never had anything much between their ears. It sounds harsh, but there you go.

All sensible women of a certain age have that one down for what he is, which is exactly why he is mainly attractive to men just like him, worse, or not much better. And sadly, there are plenty of those in this sordid southern Mediterranean culture (“Kattolici u Latini”).

1. J. Vella says:

Delia is trying to hijack the party and undermine it with fascist tactics. MPs should resist this attack on the plurality of ideas in the party and work to protect its glorious history of honest and integral leaders. Nobody should be coerced into submission.

2. callixtus says:

His political honeymoon has been a disaster, and things will only get worse. Much worse.

After failing to bribe or frighten any MP to give up his parliamentary seat to install Delia as MP, his team hung one of their own out to dry, effectively forcing his hand.

The party has failed to rally behind him. Those who voted to get rid of this government`s blatant corruption are seething at having this scumbag foisted on them, effectively leaving them unrepresented in parliament.

The Independence day celebrations were a damp squib.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Nationalist Party assets end up being sold off under suspicious circumstances, and I’m convinced that the party will be bankrupted in five years’ time.

The Labour Party, still savouring the fact that PN party members have handed it the key to another even more massive victory on a silver salver, is still handling him with velvet gloves.

It is in no hurry to sink its fangs into him. It will certainly not do so before the European Parliament elections.

It wants to lull PN supporters into complacency to ensure he is not replaced by anyone faintly threatening.

It`s time for a new leader to stage a palace coup and do to Adrian Delia what Eddie Fenech Adami was forced to do to George Borg Olivier. Otherwise we`re doomed.

• Guest says:

How do you rate the possibility of Labour obtaining 2/3+ of parliament seats in the next election?

• r jones says:

Very high. Callixtus is right to note that Labour will treat Delia and the Nationalist Party with velvet gloves before the 2019 European Parliament elections. Labour will hope that the PN will make some minor gains sufficient for Delia to remain Nationalist Party leader.

In 2022, it will be a different story. Labour will come out with guns blazing. Labour’s target will be a two thirds majority. Muscat’s road plan for the destruction of Malta’s democracy will then be complete.

Victor Calleja is right. Delia must go and he must go now.

• J. Vella says:

Muscat could well change the Constitution much earlier. He only needs eight more MPs. An opportunity to split Delia from the disgruntled.

• callixtus says:

With Delia at the helm, it’s a virtual certainty.

3. Galeforce says:

The majority of party card-holders eligible to vote in the leadership election did NOT vote him in. And it is starting to show already.

Those publicly stating that they will give up their seat for him in the casual election are fools. They have burnt their bridges as far as their constituents are concerned, for the next general election.

4. Yes. I am informed that even before he was elected leader, he made enquiries at the party HQ about the leader’s salary and was shocked to find that there isn’t one.

5. Maltese culture trains people to think of coercion as normal. The whole of a Maltese childhood is geared towards that.

6. Chalie15 says:

I think Labour will hold on to its base without really adding new votes, while pale blue voters will desert the PN. I really hope PD has a strong candidate in the upcoming European Parliament elections.

7. Zenobia says:

Our only hope lies in those Nationalist members of parliament who have the strength of mind and the backbone to act.

8. G Abela says:

Josianne Holloway, just for clarity’s sake Birkirkara FC were excluded from European competitions for another reason but not for poor book-keeping. It was as a result of a technical issue but not connected whatsoever with book-keeping being poor as you mistakenly stated.

9. LaundryVille says:

To hell with plastic boobs. Malta needs balls of steel.

10. Badessa says:

Spot on

11. Josanne Holloway says:

And I understand did not provide the correct documentation required.-

12. Josette says:

And in your last paragraph are the seeds for future massive defeats. People like me, who have been heavily involved in the Nationalist Party in the past, have already decided to sit out any election involving Delia as party leader.

Others will have no compunction abouy shifting their allegiance to another party. And Delia offers no incentive to Labour supporters to shift to PN.

Why embrace the imitation when you already have the real thing?

13. Josette says:

How very democratic!

14. Alex says:

I did not have a vote in either of the two elections that Delia contested. I do not use Facebook to share my opinions and have no other platform to influence the outcome of that choice or hold anyone to scrutiny.

By default, I have to give Delia a chance, since the first time that I will make that choice will likely be at the next general election. I have four to five years to consider his actions, but as others have pointed out, it did not start well.

A number of issues that Delia has faced over the past few weeks have been dealt with in the same way that Joseph Muscat would have dealt with them.

If I am faced with Hobson’s choice of choosing Muscat or his copy, then I would be inclined to choose the devil I know, or make no choice, which, as of today, is likely to end in the same result.

In the end, a country will get the government it deserves, which implies many things about the intelligence of the Maltese people. I do not feel I can associate myself to these values.

Perhaps I should consider giving Marlene Farrugia a chance.

15. Albert Bezzina says:

Parasitic wasps are deposited within the body of the host with a quick violent action leaving a semblance of normality. The wasp’s offspring slowly consumes the host from within. The latter seems unaffected until the end, when the parasite flies off leaving an empty husk. Delia is the parasite. The PN may become the empty husk. I am convinced that Delia is a josephmuscat.com plant.