The ridiculous Adrian Delia has filed another libel suit instead of explaining himself to the public and the press

Published: August 25, 2017 at 1:27pm

I notice from Adrian Delia’s standard daily barrage of press releases in my email in-box that he has filed another libel suit against me today, this time for saying that he used his offshore account at Barclays International in Jersey (account name: ADRIAN DELIA) to process, for which read launder, the money from prostitution collected by Maltese landlords in Soho.

Like members of the Labour Party to which he properly belongs, Dr Delia thinks that filing a libel suit is a substitute for a politician explaining himself to the press and the public – or even worse, a declaration of innocence.

It is neither. It is a desperate public relations move resorted to by scoundrels who know that they cannot explain themselves but must use some kind of delaying tactic and make a statement which doesn’t involve words, so they choose action instead: suing in the moment.

He’s an idiot, because so much more of this story is left to unfold that his bet, if he can explain himself, is to sit down and do it.

Later on today, I will explain to whom 52 Greek Street is registered as a front for the real owner. I can’t do it for now because there are a couple of things I need to do first. And then more of the pieces will begin falling into place. But of course, that’s just one bit of it, because this thing is going to run for a while yet.

Adrian Delia got upset because I first asked him a very specific question on whether he has ever held an offshore bank account, waited for him to deny it, and then published the documents proving that he did. He called it ‘strategy of a hidden hand’. No, Dr Delia, it’s called journalism. Finding out whether a party leadership contender (or any other politician) is a liar who does not respect the public with the truth is an important party of reporting. That you had an offshore account in Jersey is one story. That you lied about it is another.

For years, Adrian Delia processed the ‘rent’ from this place through his offshore account at Barclays International in Jersey. That he did it for the Maltese Soho landlords and did not own the brothels himself does not change the fact that he was laundering the money.

1. EarthwormDave says:

What bothers me about the Delia business is the question of whether Labour have placed numerous plants among the Nationalist Party members. I would not put this past them given their promotion of Delia. Is it possible there could be sufficient Labour plants to get Delia elected notwithstanding the bad press he’s been having recently?

• I think a surge in membership from July would have not gone undetected. Besides which, new members can’t vote.

• doreen debono says:

All those Nazzjonalisti ta’ rieda tajba should join now, since there must be another contest before the next general elections.

I predict that whoever of these four is elected will poll so badly that a challenge must be forthcoming. Simon Busuttil was weak, but he was head and shoulders above these four political midgets.

The new leader will be so pathetic that all mid-term contests like local elections and European Parliament elections will quickly demonstrate widespread disaffection.

To avoid all this: STOP THE CONTEST NOW.

• EarthwormDave says:

I probably didn’t express myself clearly enough. I was actually wondering whether Labour planned the ‘promotion’ of Delia some years back and had planted Labourites among the Nationalist Party membership to ensure their candidate won. I realise I am probably seeing ghosts.

2. Manuel Camilleri says:

After hearing Delia’s arguments about Egrant Inc., I am convinced more than ever before that he voted Labour in the last two general elections.

A journalist should place the microphone under his chin and ask him if he ever voted Labour.

3. Oh, is Adrian Delia in the Nationalist Party? Sorry, but I hadn’t noticed.

4. Sa Pace says:

Adrian Delia has a problem believing Daphne Caruana Galizia yet he finds it so effortless to echo Super One. Something is up.

5. doreen debono says:

This leadership contest must be STOPPED.

6. Grace Galea says:

No you’re not.

7. Sa Pace says:

Not at all. Adrian Delia is their life insurance. I bet they’d rather have him than Chris Fearne as next Prime Minister.

• callixtus says:

They’re quite safe with Fearne. After all he’s been quite happy to back them to the hilt through the past five corrupt years. Do not forget he’s been a staunch Labour Party insider since the dreadful rule of Mintoff and Mifsud Bonnici.

8. Pandora says:

Chris Said is the only one I see putting some enthusiasm in the leadership race. He has a fighting spirit which with practice and the willing support of a good team can only improve.

9. doreen debono says:

Edgar, I beg to differ. I know who you are. You have been a bastion of support for the PN and mean well. But I sincerely believe you’re misguided. Chris Said, sad to say, doesn’t even have a proper voice.

He is unexciting, boring, parochial, uninspiring. Need I go on? If you honestly think he can win the PN the next elections, then great. But my prediction is that he, or any of the other three, will lose by a greater margin than this year’s.

Said had the chance to prove himself as a Minister and as Secretary General, and was unimpressive in both roles.

Believe me, he won’t perform. Call this arrogance if you will, but I have finely honed instincts. I predicted Labour would win the elections by a landslide and they did.

As an ex-Laburista I’m not blinded like you are. You think that criticising the party is disloyal. In truth supporting laws candidates is the greatest disservice you can do the party.

Invalidate your vote (I know you have one), send a signal of disapproval, and let’s elect a new leader in two years’ time. Believe me someone will emerge. Not because I’m a woman, but I think this should be the party’s trump card. But no doubt we’ll let Labour steal it by electing Miriam Dalli to succeed Muscat.

Iftah ghajnek Edgar.

10. Because he doesn’t want to lead a party or get involved in politics. He just wants to become the prime minister.

11. Angela Galea says:

As if he’s going to tell you the truth. He is a ‘seasoned’ liar same as Joseph Muscat and the gang in Castille.

12. Angela Galea says:

No you’re not alone, but this is Malta unfortunately.

13. Angela Galea says:

Very well said. Same thoughts and feelings here.

14. Angela Galea says:

Or Gonzi. Don’t forget that one.

15. doreen debono says:

Edgar, you manipulate what I say. I didn’t criticize Said for his voice but because he’s boring, parochial and uninspiring.

And, yes, he does have an unfortunate voice, and these things count.

My suggestion is not to vote for any of the four, so that the contest is suspended for two years. Then you’ll get the chance to vote in a proper contest, for a potential PM.

This time you’re certain to select a loser. If you can’t see that all four, including Said, haven’t the remotest chance of ever leading the Nationalist Party to victory, then you haven’t learnt anything in your 70+ years. And Nannu Joseph Howard will be turning in his grave.

If you truly love this Party, you must realise that both Delia and Said are unsuitable.

• Edgar Gatt says:

I shall end this useless discussion with you not because of your patronising attitude, that I can take, but for the illogical and unrealistic conclusion of your three comments.

Basically you are suggesting that I tear up my vote and by doing so the election will be null and void and in two years’ time a super person shall appear with a Joseph Calleja voice, won’t be boring. parochial and very inspiring.

You are assuming I guess that the 23,000 odd voters will do likewise, for if they won’t I shall be giving Delia a vote.

Yes, I truly love the party and even if in your opinion Chris Said is unsuitable, I shall be voting for him anyway and I can assure you that Joseph Howard will not be turning in his grave.