I think you’ll find that Jean Pierre Debono has been stitched up by his own co-conspirators

Published: September 24, 2017 at 11:46am

When I read the news last Thursday that a Nationalist Party electoral commission report, showing that signatures had been forged on proxies for votes for which Jean Pierre Debono was responsible, had been leaked to Malta Today, I turned to my companion at that moment and said: “This is really convenient for them. Now they can use this to back Debono up against the wall and force him to give up his seat for Delia. This is exactly what they need right now because they have no other avenue open to them and Debono has said already that he doesn’t want to give up his seat.”

By ‘them’ and ‘they’ I meant Delia and his schemers. Yes, I know that Jean Pierre Debono is one of them, but I also know that there is no honour among thieves, particularly not those in politics. They do what they have to do, even if it means throwing their co-schemers to the wolves.

Two minutes later, another thought occurred to me. And I turned to my companion again and said: “You know, I think they might well have leaked that report to the newspaper themselves, for that precise purpose. It’s the kind of dirty thing I would expect from those characters, particularly now that they have nowhere to turn for his seat. They’ve hung Jean Pierre Debono out to dry to get a seat for Delia – because you know how they’ve been saying that nobody is greater than the party.”

I decided then to keep quiet about my theory to see how things would pan out. I knew that if my theory was correct, at some point over the weekend we would have an announcement from Debono that he will be sacrificing himself heroically for the party and Delia. There aren’t many advantages to having spent three decades writing about politics in Malta, except for the fact that it gives me a uniquely cynical insight into these machinations.

When Delia and other members of the gang failed to stand up for him in the face of the massive negative and damaging media coverage that followed that news report, leaving him instead to flounder about defending himself alone on Facebook, I thought “Aha”.

Meanwhile, the two candidates most likely to be elected in the casual election which would follow Debono giving up his seat both made public statements announcing that they would participate in the casual election, but would immediately give up their seat if elected, to make way for Delia’s co-option. Right, I thought, Debono is about to be stitched up good and proper. He almost certainly knows this himself but can’t do anything about it because of that mess with the forged signatures.

And sure enough, we had that announcement this morning, on the front page of The Malta Independent. Jean Pierre Debono will be giving up his seat for Adrian Delia, and this after his having announced repeatedly (see Facebook posts below) that he has no intention of doing so.

I think you’ll find that Debono has been hung out to dry by his own men, for the ‘greater good’ of Delia himself and the others clinging to his coat-tails, because without a seat in parliament their plans for world domination are screwed.

“If you don’t give up your seat, we’re going to make sure that action is taken against you for those forged proxy signatures. Look at all the bad press we’ve had. You have to go. You made that mess and you have to pay the price. But we’ll make it up to you.”

I will add something else. That leaked report and the scandal which followed have also cleared Jean Pierre Debono out of the way as a contender for the post of party secretary-general or deputy leader. So anybody who has been aiming all along for one of those two posts in collusion with Delia has been well served.

1. Ganni Muscat says:

And, oh look, it’s on The Malta Independent.

2. Guzu Gatt says:

Serves you right Jean Pierre, fl-ahhar irnexxielek tahxi l-partit u mieghu inhxejt int.

3. pronoia says:

He will now be fielded for the European Parliament elections.

4. Valerie says:

This is definitely showing that Delia is one step ahead of his minions. Luckily, you are also one step ahead of him.

5. The Dark Knight says:

I’m sure he is not fussed about this – he’s undoubtedly been offered some silver carrot (golden ones reserved for government members only).

6. Edgar Gatt says:

I believe in karma. Hekk, hu go fik.

7. I didn’t write a column today.

8. The other candidates on the list could not be persuaded to give up their seat immediately on election in the casual election which would follow.

9. CarrieErbag says:

Adrian Delia will now have to either kick out or reward Kristy Debono. Or does he not consider a woman whose husband he has scorned as a threat?

10. I think you need to read my piece again and understand it.

11. TINA TANA says:

Min jaf min huma dawn li qed jghidulu grazzi fuq Facebook, ghax issa kollox tibda tiddubita u kull ilma tibda tahsbu mishun.

12. Marie ZG says:

So, flicking through the TV channels, I came across the Puttinu Cares fund-raising telethon.

Peppi Azzopardi was interviewing Adrian Delia and a little girl undergoing chemo. This girl’s mother is a teacher. Delia asked her something along the lines of “Do you cheat on homework, getting your mummy to do it for you?”

The word ‘cheat’ was definitely used.

Is that the extent to which cheating is ingrained in his psyche? That he sees cheating everywhere?

I may not know much about law and economics, but I think I know people.

13. Thank you for that. The timing of the leak of that report is all.

14. Franġiska says:

Kemm naqbel mieghek, Antoine. Jidher imma li Deliar diga beda jfahhru lil Jean Pierre tas-sagrificcju li ghamel ghalih, ahseb u ara kemm se jhalli lil min jinvestiga lilu u dawk kollha komplici mieghu.

Kif ghidt tajjeb int minjaf jekk jinvestigaw bir-reqqa kemm johorgu hnizrijiet. U mela jigu jghidu li “dawk parti mill-establisment iridu jibqghu hemm ghax jinkixfu s-sigrieti”?

Nahseb aktar Jean Pierre u shabu ghandhom sigrieti li jekk johorgu fil-berah ingibu ghajnejna wara widnejna.

Ghalhekk ghazel it-triq tal-gifa forsi jiffranka sabta akbar minn Alla li halqu. Nghidlu grazzi! Ta’ xiex? Tal-istalletti li deffes f’dar Simon Busuttil u ohrajn li forsi waqqfulu?

Miskin, sagrificcju bhal dan. U lanqas lahaq daqu bizzejjed. Kemm ilu MP? Tlett xhur? Nittama li tiehu li haqqek.

15. Franġiska says:

Anzi nehha min kien kunsillier u ghamel lil min ried. Jigifieri ghall-bzonn kieku baqghu l-kunsilliera kif kienu. Jista’ jkun li mill-Kunsilliera ma kienx jitla’ Deliar. It-tbazwir mill-bidu kien.

16. Franġiska says:

Tghid il-fans ta’ Deliar mhux lilha jivvutaw halli jpattulha tas-sagrificcju ta’ zewgha? Komplu ghasdu bejnietkom.

17. Anthony Mifsud Bonnici Giordan says:

Kellu bzonn Il-PN ghandu li xi hadd kapaci daqs kwart ta’ Joseph

18. Ivan Tabone says:

I would like to see an interview by l-Orizzont now…