Eddie Fenech Adami’s son-in-law cancels Nationalist Party membership/writes stiff letter to Jean Pierre Debono and makes it public

Published: September 24, 2017 at 1:43am

Kevin Cassar, a surgeon and associate professor in the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at the Malta Medical School, has cancelled his Nationalist Party membership and written a stiff letter to Jean Pierre Debono, the party’s scandal-torn assistant secretary-general, which he has made public.

Professor Cassar is a son-in-law of Eddie Fenech Adami, who Adrian Delia, the new party leader, has referenced constantly throughout his campaign and during his theatrical performance on stage in Floriana for the commemoration of Independence Day. Dr Delia’s comparison of himself to Dr Fenech Adami is viewed privately by members of that family as deeply offensive.

Professor Cassar, whose wife’s brother, Beppe Fenech Adami, remains the Nationalist Party’s deputy leader pending the election of his replacement later this year, wrote (in translation):

“I write to inform you that I am giving up my membership of the Nationalist Party and ask you to cancel my name from the list of life members. I have taken this decision for the reasons outlined below.

“1. Adrian Delia has been elected party leader. While I respect the decision of the party’s electors, I have reservations about Dr Delia. Some of his choices make it impossible for me to remain a member of the party.

“2.My doubts about Dr Delia, which he has not properly addressed, concern the matters about which the party’s Ethics Committee spoke, particularly his bank account in Jersey, the purpose of that account, the source of the money paid into it, and the ultimate destination of that money. I have serious concerns about his financial situation, the extent of his debts, and how – in his position as party leader – he can possibly settle those debts without becoming embroiled in other debts or obligations which may cause a conflict of interest. I have doubts and questions about how he intends to pay the Inland Revenue the many thousands of euros he has racked up in outstanding taxes and penalties. The fact that he has not paid the tax he owes raises doubts about his ethical standards and his suitability as leader of a political party. Nor has he kept his word when he promised to publish his tax returns.

“3. I have doubts about various choices he may have made and about the sort of work in which he was involved. These doubts have persisted because the new party leader has failed to give a satisfactory explanation.

“4. I am concerned about other cases which raise doubts about the party leader’s behaviour, notably those involving the Birkirkara Football Club and (Boris) Arcidiacono. Before his election, he assured us that there would be no problem finding a seat for him in parliament, and that the matter had been resolved, but after his election we found that the problem had yet to be addressed. This raises doubts about Dr Delia’s honesty, making it very much more difficult to believe him.

“5. The factor which most worries me is his talk about “the fight against hatred”. This is being used to justify assaults on those who hold the new party leader to scrutiny or criticise him, including journalists and even members of the Nationalist Party itself. At a time when democracy is under threat, freedom of expression should be safeguarded more strongly.

“Instead we have dangerous talk which incites people against those who are critical or who hold a different opinion. Incitement against the so-called ‘establishment’, which means those who worked with dedication and honesty, has led to threats, insults and divisive antagonism. All criticism and any revelation of facts is being labelled “hatred” as a way of escaping the need to explain oneself.

“This is the same tactic as that of describing facts and criticism as ‘fake news’, in which the primary purpose is to discredit all those make the criticism so that those who are criticised can escape the obligation to give a clear and honest explanation of their behaviour.

“In no time at all we have moved already into a personality cult in which any criticism is rebutted with personal attacks on the person making that criticism, making it clear that no criticism is tolerated at all. These are not the principles of democracy. They do not augur well for a political party that wishes to be healthy and open. The new way we were promised is changing before our very eyes into something that is not consistent with the principles that have long underpinned the Nationalist Party, and which our country now needs more than ever.

For these reasons, I feel I can no longer have anything to do with the Nationalist Party, and I am giving up my membership with immediate effect.”

1. Dumbo says:

Were I living in the 7th electoral district, I would file an application before the Constitutional Court to prohibit the planned jerrymandering.

It is farcical for a person to contest an election in full knowledge that, if elected, he will immediately resign.

It would be a travesty of any electoral process and a mockery of our Constitution. What is more shameful is that it is the Nationalist Party has resorted to these desperate measures.

2. maltinglix says:

That, my friends, is true leadership material.

• KS says:

Leadership material not accepting the will of the majority. Amazing.

• Yes, exactly. It was those who stood up to Hitler who showed the traits required for leadership, and not those who did his bidding.

• KS says:

He certainly has all the right. However, one does not need to make this a whole PR spin that is causing so much damage to the party.

The new leadership at least needs to be given the right to prove themselves. This is a really autocratic and selfish approach that some PN MPs are undertaking.

Let us keep in mind that Delia won with a majority in both elections albeit one has to admit that the last election was a much closer encounter than many expected.

With these arguments, JPO’s and Francos action are justified.

• No, because the premise of my argument (and Professor Cassar’s ) is that no good can come of bad people.

This applies to Delia as it does to the other two you mentioned.

• john says:

The “whole PR spin that is causing so much damage to the party” is that promoted by Delia and his backers, who you support.

• Gee Mike says:

Yep, I am afraid so, if for one minute Joseph Muscat thought that hijacking the Nationalist party will secure the remaining 44% of the electorate, he got this one wrong.

True Nationalists are mostly people of principle and honest values (maybe not all) but not blind sheep.

They do not automatically follow, like the LP followers.

So Delia PN is a dead duck.

• “True Nationalists” – excuse my French, but WTF are those.

• il-Ginger says:

Inverted logic. Amazing.

3. Brian Sinclair says:

Jean Pierre Debono has now said that he will be resigning his seventh district seat and all he asked for is that Delia takes care of the district. What do these people think that we are fools. How can Delia take care of the district now? Debono is another dubious character as we have seen.

4. Joe Formosa says:

Can one be a supportive member of a party but not a supportive member of the leader of that party? Is party and leader one and same? With the current events developing in the PN, this question and school of thought should be explored more then ever, even debated on public forums, as it is possibly in the subconscious of many PN supporters at present.

5. Oh come on. “I will resign on such and such a date in the distant future”.

6. john says:

Malta’s much respected top vascular surgeon. Truly a sad loss to the Nationalist Party.

7. M.Borg says:

PN, thanks for your past governments, over and out.

8. The Dark Knight says:

How far the PN has fallen is such a short time. I am honestly at a loss. Can someone please tell me how we went from Simon Busuttil and all that the PN under his guidance stood for, to AdrIan Delia and all his baggage?

He has already undone 4 years of Busuttil’s work and will very shortly bring the PN to its knees again.

If he truly had the PN at heart, he would resign. I wish the PN could have done more to stop Busuttil resigning.

I would rather vote for honesty and integrity and lose, rather than be forced into a position where I cannot vote.

9. Yes, sure – so we’ll end up with one large party always in power.

10. Angela Galea says:

I fully concur with his ideals. However, I intend to keep my life membership so that I will have a say in future elections.

What I will do instead is inform the party that I am no longer interested in receiving any news be email or sms about Delia and his gang.

11. You’re nuts if you imagine he’s going to resign because of a rout in any election, let alone those ones.

12. I could be very rude in the language used by the people Delia thinks of as “the simple Maltese”, but I won’t. Don’t bother boasting about your poor level of education – or rather, given your perfect spelling, faking it – because you might tempt a person to say that it shows.

13. Doddy says:

Jien illi li nehhejta t-tessera u issa zgur li ma ghandhomx cans ghal vot. Naghtih lil tal-Ajkla imma l-PN le.

14. “I follow the leader whoever he is” – fascist mindset.

You’re not the only one whose younger years were hell because of Labour.

15. Angela Galea says:

Hekk hu. Imma f’4 snin biss il-Labour hatt dak kollu li ghamel il-PN fi 23 sena. Tajjeb tkun taf li biex tibni pajjiz tiehu zmien twil, imma biex thottu tiehu biss ftit sieghat.

16. l.matron says:

Seriously, it looks like they couldn’t organise a riot let alone pull a political party together.

17. Yes, but that means one party always in power – Labour.