It hasn’t yet dawned on those who talk about the Establishment that I’m actually the only anti-Establishment figure in this entire equation

Published: September 13, 2017 at 12:23am

I am sick of hearing people who can barely speak English to save their lives talk about the Establishment this and the Establishment that. They haven’t the slightest idea what it means. How could they have? They are as far removed from British or North American social culture as it is possible to be without actually living in a yurt in Outer Mongolia.

What are the odds that none of them even bothered to look it up and read about it, so that at least they know a little of what they are talking about?

The interesting thing is that while they claim to be “against the Establishment” they don’t know there is also something called being anti-Establishment. The expression has fallen out of use since the 1960s, largely because of the societal and organisational shifts in society that made any idea of the Establishment itself so unclearly defined as to be almost nonsensical.

But if people like Adrian Delia, Joseph Muscat and their various supporters on Facebook and elsewhere actually knew what being anti-Establishment is – and it certainly does not mean going into politics to gain power for yourself and your outfit – they would understand that I am literally the only purely anti-Establishment figure in this entire equation. And that’s exactly why they object to me so vociferously.

I have built most of my career and my reputation on being anti-Establishment. I have made an entire life out of it. The reason that they’re all so upset about me – wherever you look, wherever you go, whatever side of the House and whichever part of society you’re looking at, and men especially because an anti-Establishment woman flies right in the face of southern Mediterranean culture – is precisely because I am textbook, A1 anti-Establishment and they really don’t like it.

I break all their rules. But they are their rules. They are not the rules or the ways of the contemporary democratic world. If I where anywhere else, I would not be anti-Establishment. I would simply be normal. But what is considered normal in Malta is abnormal elsewhere. Malta hasn’t caught up.

Politicians and would-be politicians and their tragic supporters are laughably ridiculous as they speak against “the Establishment” (of which they form part, by definition) while expressing shock, anger and opposition to me and to others who criticise and scrutinise their political heroes, saying that I should be silenced while at the same time claiming to be against the Establishment themselves.

The Establishment is all about control and maintenance of power. The only people who have power in Malta are politicians. They control everything, because as we have seen so dramatically over the last four years, the institutions of state are completely vulnerable to elected politicians. Joseph Muscat and his cronies are the Establishment. Adrian Delia and his cronies are doing their utmost to become the Nationalist Party Establishment themselves, and after that, the Establishment in the country.

To do that, they need people who are tools, useful tools. And so those people don’t think they are tools, they make them feel included: “Let’s take back our party!” But it’s not the ordinary people who are going to take back anything. It’s Delia and his cronies. And they’re not going to take it back. They’re going to take it over. Because they want to be the Establishment. They want power at all costs: power in the party and power in the country, power for its own sake and for what it can give and their cronies personally.

I can’t see why a real journalist would be wrapped round that shady man’s neck, instead of investigating him for a proper newspaper.

1. just me says:

TODAY is the last day Nationalist Party members who have not yet paid their membership to do so to be able to vote next Saturday.

So hurry up, pay for your membership, get your vote and VOTE FOR CHRIS SAID next Saturday.

2. Fred the Red says:

My esteem for Mario Frendo has completely evaporated.

3. Sowxal says:

“I am Joseph and you will do and say what I tell you to. And you will act like me and my friends too.

Now repeat:

The PN lost the election because of the blogger witch,

Mild, let alone harsh, criticism is not a vital feature of democracy but HATE!!!! NEGITIVITI!!!!!

Even though I am the government, I am not the establishment,

The PN establishment needs to go, with exceptions like the Deputy Secretary General and other officials. Ghax dawk orrajt,

Once you’re at it, Dottor Delia is your Messija (and my toy, but that’s not your concern),

If on the off-chance your conscience, such as it is, starts niggling you about probity and good governance, look into your wallet. Whatever money you find in it is thanks to me,

Between the environment and aesthetic beauty of ‘Malta Taghna Lkoll u Qabel Kollox’ and money, you choose money. Always. Ghax kulhadd irid jiekol,

If you can’t beat me, join me. Or better still, imitate me.”

4. People in power can’t be anti-Establishment by definition.

• Mikhail Tal says:

Yes agreed. But here in Malta, people in power defined the Opposition as the Establishment, and it stuck.

Now the Nationalist Party has two options. Either choose Chris Said who will end up without a newsroom to work with. Or choose Adrian Delia to get rid of the present administration.

Party members are generally fed up of the present administration. They want a complete change. I form part of the minority who is disgusted with both Adrian Delia and Chris Said.

• If Chris Said is elected, and that’s a big IF, he can and should seize the opportunity to clear out that newsroom and rethink the entire party media. The only reason a political party would need party media is for propaganda. It is insanity not to understand that you can’t enter the field of the independent media or even pretend to. Look what the Labour Party does with its media: full-on 24-hours propaganda, even in its entertainment shows. Its employees call themselves journalists but they don’t even pretend to do any journalism: it’s all-out propaganda.

• C. Brincat says:

The fact that you have to explain this is incredible in itself.

5. C. Brincat says:

It’s all staged Paul. Propaganda 101.

6. john says:

You forget John Dalli, Ninu Zammit, Michael Falzon and others, who were not just “close to” the PN, but were Nationalist ministers.

7. Angela Galea says:

Take a good look at the picture again, and you’ll see that Dione Borg’s arm is round Adrian Delia’s waist.

8. Angela Galea says:

And they don’t even bother to Google it, to know what they’re talking about or to broaden their knowledge.

Probably they are just hooked to social media and that’s that. They don’t even know the Net is an ocean of knowledge and information. Obviously, one has to process and discern the data found before accepting it as fait accompli.

9. Crockett says:

Thank you Daphne for spelling it out. I’ve also had it up to the gills with this lot misusing and abusing the term.

10. just me says:

Adrian Delia is so very similar to Joseph Muscat. Before an election he says all the things that people want to hear and promises everything and anything that people wish. Then, if he is elected, he will do exactly opposite all that he promised.

11. Mary Shephard says:

I have received a message this morning indicating that Dr Delia will defend values. The message lists them – a word by word copy of what Dr Said said.

It would seem that Dr Delia’s team is apparently finding it difficult to ‘sell’ Dr Delia on his own merits so they have to plagiarise.

Should Dr Delia be elected then it would seem that at the next election, the Maltese electorate would have a choice between a RED ‘Panama’ or a BLUE’ Jersey.

12. just me says:

He tried to do the same thing with Eddie Fenech Adami but did not succeed.

13. just me says:

We all have this invisible zone around our bodies that we consider our own personal space. Only people with whom we are intimate are allowed into this zone.

When anyone else enters it, we feel intruded upon or even threatened.

When Adrian Delia wraps his arm around someone’s shoulder for a photo, he is invading their personal space. It is also a domineering gesture and very rude especially when he hardly knows the person involved.