Meanwhile, in a television studio in Uzbekistan…

Published: October 12, 2017 at 12:29am

Louise Tedesco, who has worked for the Nationalist Party’s television station since it began operations in the early 1990s, interviewed the new party leader earlier tonight. In a sign of what lies in store, the studio set looked just like something you’d expect to see on Uzbekistan state television, and so were the proceedings.

The Great Democratic Uzbekistani Leader ranted on and the television interviewer nodded and smiled and asked convenient leading questions.

Or maybe it wasn’t so much an Uzbekistani performance as your standard encounter between two Maltese 50-year-olds: the man ranting on about himself, oblivious to the woman’s glazed-eye boredom because he is convinced of his own power to enthral, and the woman privately thinking what a t**ser he is, and how very unattractive Maltese men become beyond a certain fairly early age, but how she’d better be nice to him because of her husband and because men don’t like women who talk back, so she had better keep nodding and smiling and occasionally opening her eyes wide (which helps with the struggle to stay awake and alert, but which the man helpfully mistakes for fascination).

Some people seem thrilled because the new Nationalist Party leader said during his election campaign – but then he would, wouldn’t he – that he wants to “listen to people”. How I laughed. The thought of that man listening to anyone at all is hilarious. My life experience tells me that he’s one of those who talks at people, totally oblivious to whether they are interested and without the slightest interest in hearing what they might have to say when they can get a word in edgeways.

Smashing Uzbekistan set – all we need are some lurid fake flowers in a gold enamelled urn with plenty of curlicues and fluting.

1. Sea Bastion says:

It’s actually Turkmenistan that indulges into this extra golden shiny garbage. Get your countries right Daphne. Oh and there is nothing reminiscent of Uzbekistan or Turkmenistan or whatever (and nothing wrong either). I guess you haven’t seen enough pictures of some of the shit in Turkmenistan.

2. Mary Anne says:

Not sure what you hope to gain Daphne. I mean, in the past it was clear what you stood for. Today, well, quite honestly I just do not know. I can appreciate your views are strong, however, I am meeting persons these days during my daily morning coffee natter, who just do not understand why you have departed from what you where so great at. I stand to be corrected. I am not some social media expert but I know what I feel and I listen to what others say.

• What I stand for is clearer than ever. Maybe you should mix with some smarter people than the sort who are free to natter over coffee every morning, which means they don’t work for a living and probably haven’t for a long while.

• Tom Double Thumb says:

What Daphne Caruana Galizia stands for is consistency. She does not look at the wrong-doer’s political colour, but at the wrong itself, irrespective of where it comes from. Those with any functioning brain-cells should do exactly the same. Maybe now, Labour will put an end to their big lie that Daphne Caruana Galizia held the Nationalist Party in her grip and dictated its policy.

• Maria Anna says:

I really think that Daphne stands for the truth and listens to what the genuine people in the street are saying and investigates the issues concerned. As to what she hopes to gain – all the thanks she gets for her efforts are hate and threatening messages.

• Anna says:

What Daphne stands for is truth, transparency, authenticity, honesty and integrity. Those of us who hold the same values find that pretty clear, and it’s why we flock here in droves especially now that we have been left without a political home.

• Sycamore says:

For me Daphne stands for the voice of reason in a village of insanity.

• Franġiska says:

Jinżillek tajjeb il-morning coffee kull filgħodu naħseb. Daphne bl-ebda mod ma marret ‘l bogħod minn dak li kienet tagħmel qabel. Anzi dejjem konsistenti. Għażlet dejjem dak li għandu valuri tajbin , ikun min ikun,PL jew PN, ma jagħmilx differenza, Il-ħażin jagħmlu min jagħmlu ħażin jibqa’.

3. Peppi says:

He talks like Borat. A moustache would make a nice touch.

4. Pajp says:

Il-programmi ‘ta’ kwalita’ li wieghed l-avukat ‘ta’ success’…

5. Karl says:

Louise Tedesco, l-istar candidate tal-kunsill lokali tal-Hamrun. Qatt ma ghamlet xejn ghal kunsill HLIEF li darba f’sena tmur tixrob xarba b’xejn il-kazin tan-Nazzjonalisti f’san Gejtanu.

6. That’s because her husband Peter Portelli, who was hoping to get back in to government on Mario Demarco’s coat-tails AGAIN, is hoping for a way back in via Delia’s circus troupe of villains and scammers.

7. A vehicle for her husband Peter Portelli’s rabid ambition – a rabid ambition not strong enough, incidentally, to wrest himself off the state payroll and into the private sector despite the fact that for the last four years he has been isolated in a room in Bighi.

8. Angela Galea says:

I am convinced that he is there only to make the road easier for the Labour Party. That was the underhand agreement between him and Joseph Muscat.

9. Ruth Bonnici says:

I am not giving you any excuses.

10. Ruth Bonnici says:

He had the one task – Gozo. I don’t care how much he worked for the party in the past etc, because with the Gozo election result he should have stepped down like the rest.

I am so fed up of the lot of them. And not in a million years did I ever imagine I would feel this way about a political party I was brought up to look up to and love.

• Your parents brought you up to love a political party?

• Ruth Bonnici says:

Oh come on Daphne ,what I meant was not love perse ,my parents brought me up with values and principals. Like,many we lived through the horrible 80s .

• No, I don’t know what you mean. You don’t need a vehicle for your attitude to life – either a political party or a religion and preferably both.

And quite frankly I don’t know what these values and principles of yours are, because the last time you got in touch with me was on the eve of the general election, and you did so to try to persuade me to lay off writing about Hugo Chetcuti because you and some others were trying to persuade him to vote Nationalist.

You couldn’t understand what I meant when I said that no Nationalist Party activist should be running after scum like Chetcuti, that the Nationalist Party should be fighting AGAINST people like that. And you just didn’t get it because to you he was another vote, and a PRIZE one at that.

I told you then that if you had time to waste chasing people for votes at the 11th hour, instead of spending a day on a man whose business is highly suspect (I’m being careful here), you should chase Mrs Mary Borg and Mr John Grech, ordinary people, because a vote is a vote is a vote and the fact that people have money, licit or illicit, does not mean they have more votes or that their votes are worth more in the polling-booth.

You didn’t get that either. But I’ll tell you again: I was furious and disgusted to discover that while I was busting a gut communicating about government corruption, certain PN activists were smarming up to Hugo Chetcuti.

• Rumplestiltskin says:

“Principles.” Principals run schools.

11. rcamilleri says:

You did have a choice. Not knowing the difference between Adrian Delia and Chris Said says a lot about the people who make up the Nationalist Party’s paid-up “grassroots” who include of course people who also vote for the Labour Party.

12. Tom Double Thumb says:

Your comment is almost an insult to older people. I am an “older person” born in the 1930s and admit to having a conservative streak.

But I assure you he does not not appeal to me at all. In fact he repels me and I cannot bear listening to him for more than two seconds. Because of him and his sycophants I hardly tune in to Radio 101 or Net TV nowadays. I just cannot imagine what anybody sees in him as a leader.

• La Redoute says:

Delia’s appeal to the over 60s who voted for him is that he is conservative. It is the way he was sold – as a natural successor to Fenech Adami, avukat minn Birkirkara b’hamest itfal.

• Angela Galea says:

I do not agree that Dr Fenech Adami was a conservative. I believe he was a true Christian Democrat or at best of the ‘Centre/Right’ politics. Delia is neither. To me Delia is just a fundamentalist.

13. Tom Double Thumb says:

If it is any consolation, think how former Communist countries in Eastern Europe got rid of their dictatorial and corrupt governments. It took nearly 80 years, I know, but they did it. More recently, Hitler thought his Reich would last a thousand years. It just made it to less than a couple of decades.

14. La Redoute says:

Ghamiltu opra. Delia has bled almost as many voted as the PN lost in the last election.

• Ruth Bonnici says:

Do not generalise please . And while we are at it,most of you hide behind a nom de plume , xi dwejjaq ta pajjiz why cant you just man up and show your real identity ,basta you comment and judge. Ghamlu in this case would,be more apt. There was always the 3rd choice and that was to tell,them to shove it .something I did,in,writing to R.Thake.

15. The Sting says:

That was hilarious, David. Where have you hibernated? We miss you so much. Please don’t disappear from the political scene. You were a tower of strength for us and now we need you even more.

• David Thake says:

I have decided to stand aside and let the Nationalist Party under Delia run its course. When sanity finally prevails at Dar Centrali I will be very pleased to offer my services in any way they feel I can contribute. Until then, just like you, I am a shocked bystander sharing my views on the social media.

16. pronoia says:

Are you surprised? I see the Demarco imprint all over this.

17. Lucrezia Borgia says:

Kulħadd jaf jirreċta fil-klikka tiegħu.

18. The reason why David Thake pulled in thousands of listeners, and the reason why he can’t back Delia, are one and the same.