Austria’s new chancellor is 31 – and will have to form a coalition with a neo-Nazi

Published: October 15, 2017 at 10:07pm

Exit polls show that Sebastian Kurz, 31, is about to become Austria’s new chancellor and the world’s youngest elected leader. His right-wing People’s Party (OVP) has won around 30% of the vote, with the far-right Freedom Party (FPÖ) and the Social Democrats each taking around 26% of the vote.

Because the People’s Party does not have an absolute majority of the vote, the People’s Party will have to form a coalition with one of the other two. Sebastian Kurz had fallen out with Christian Kern, leader of the Social Democrats, so his coalition will be with the far-right party, which is led by a neo-Nazi, Heinz-Christian Strache.

The difficulties of the free world continue.

Sebastian Kurz, 31, the new chancellor of Austria

1. Gary Maxwellian says:

Islam is invading Christian Europe. Austria’s more conservative Christianity although tolerant by faith will not tolerate intolerant Islam.

2. Evarist Saliba says:

It seems that modern man, with all the high opinion that he has of himself, still does not know how to use freedom wisely. For the sake of political correctness, I must point out that the term “man” includes woman as well.

3. Imposed on them by the Muslims? You do understand that Australia is a 100% immigrant society, I hope.

4. I suggest you visit some time, as I do. I can assure you that parts of Malta look far more ‘Muslim’ (because I know what you mean by Muslim) and they’re nominally Catholic.

5. Silent, my eye. Overly vocal is more like it.

6. Galeforce says:

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I think that in this case, Kurz is the ”reaction”.

7. His ‘plastic’ complexion is called youth. All good skin looks like that when it is just 31 years old and not covered in make-up or exposed to the sun.

8. I go to Brixton all the time. I love it. The market on Electric Avenue is great fun and chockfull of interesting foods, and the covered market at the end of it is now ultra-hip. You need to keep up.

• Les Bon Bons says:

I’ll admit it’s been many years since I’ve been to Brixton but I stopped by at Luton to kill a few hours and some areas made me feel as though I’m in Deira and I don’t know if you’ve ever visited but Deira is not a nice place especially in the back streets. People staring at us because we are Westerners and a worker/owner at an electronics store sexually harassed my girlfriend whilst I was looking at a camera in the same shop.

• People staring at you? Why ever would they do that. As you know (but readers don’t) you don’t hide your identity from me and you certainly wouldn’t stand out in a Brixton or Luton crowd. You would, however, be ultra-conspicuous in a small Nazi town in Germany – for the very same reason.

9. Natalie says:

Ah well. That’s the beauty of a truly secular country. You won’t get Imams screaming on microphones, nor streets closed to let believers celebrate their village saint.

You ask for Muslim women to take off their veils, for Muslims to stop gathering in public places to have their celebrations, and for food not to be prepared halal.

But it’s ok for you to have Christians gather around churches, or revel in the streets for some celebration or other, impose Catholic religious classes on children, or even assume that everyone is a Catholic when having conversations leading to some awkward silences.

You’re not being patriotic or a good Catholic believer. You’re just selfish and racist.

10. Natalie says:

Are you all being serious? Can you really be so racist to anyone that’s ‘remotely’ different to you even if you do admire that race?

Maltese people want to pass off as European in race, never mind in culture, and are usually racist to the race that most resembles theirs – Arabian. However their intolerance to other races, now even to the Aryan race they so admire, is getting a bit much.

Christian Bale and plastic face indeed.

• I agree with you there. Maltese people are so accustomed to seeing nothing but really bad skin or skin plastered in make-up that they have no idea what good, young skin looks like. THAT’S what it looks like in people of that colouring. And in darker people, it’s the same texture but creamy.

11. etc90 says:

By Australians do you mean the Aboriginal Australians or the descendants of British crooks and cons?